Thursday 12 January 2012

This little book is absolutely super. This is exactly what I was looking for, an honest guide to less well known places to see and an 'experienced guide' around Amsterdam.

Advice on dozens of places to eat, cheaply, with personal notes and tips....... this was the BIG thing for me. The best eating experiences I had in Paris weren't in expensive Michelin starred restaurants; they were the little side street hideaways that even the locals only knew about by word of mouth.

It's got lots of useful things like where to see free concerts, cheap places to print photos and 2nd hand clothing stores. Details about markets; which is good for what interest or budget.

There is a very personal, honest review of numerous bars, clubs and music venues. Helpful advice on some of Amsterdam's well known 'alternative past-times'; hand in hand with neatly summarized overall opinions of what to expect from various venues and the people you may find within. Reading this guide feels like reading the journal belonging to a well travelled friend, opposed to a sponsored Tourist Guide. Of course, I'm going through this in conjunction with Google Map and Image searches to have a better idea of where things are; but this book is nice and simple. I didn't think 13 years after almost ditching my Rough Guide in Australia, I would be back to the basics with my highlighter pen.

By the way, if you do go to buy this book and one of the reviews looks familiar, it's because I wrote it. The review, not the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment