Thursday 19 January 2012

Try this for EXAMPLE......

OK I'm sorry, that was a terrible title.

But THIS is great! ............sorry, pretty naff again

I've found a website for the Melkweg Club, which has extensive listings for scheduled theater shows, cinema screenings, music concerts and gigs.

I put in a search for events around the time we will be in Amsterdam, and I'm really excited that EXAMPLE will be playing in the Max Room (apparently)....tickets only €14.00 instead of £25 - £30 for his shows in the UK.


Brilliant. We actually saw him play at a festival in 2010 when he was just starting to become popular. He played in a small marque with about 50 people max, rapping and singing over dance and dubstep anthems. It was fantastic and I've been a fan ever since.

This has reminded me of shows I saw in Paris. Artists who are hugely successful in the UK or elsewhere, won't necessarily be as popular in Europe, but they'll often tour Paris and Amsterdam because it's so close. While I was in Paris I saw Dizzy Rascal in a small venue with 200 capacity for €12.00, right at the time when he was headlining UK festivals and selling out arenas. It was great to be right at the front (and practically the only person who knew all the words)

Another one I saw was Busta Rhymes, again only about 200 people in the crowd; the place was absolutely bouncing from start to finish.

So it's definitely worth going through up-coming events and scanning the local artists and shows; your favourite performer might just turn up in a small venue round the corner on a Monday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment