Sunday 15 January 2012

Where to stay in Amsterdam?

Like any city around the world, I've discovered that there are several options when it comes to the TYPE of place we could stay in Amsterdam.

Hotels; lovely, isn't it? This is the Hotel De L'Europe. ...... if I win the lottery, I'll consider a few weeks in here.

Seriously though, for a stay of more than a few days, a hotel is really not suitable budget-wise for us. You're looking at between £85 and £100 per night for anything remotely pleasant. We can't afford £3000 for a month long stay before considering additional spending money.




Practically speaking, one hotel room is really a glorified bed-sit and after a few days we will really want some additional space. With no cooking facilities and no escape from each other..... probably speaking for Andrew's benefit here as I talk constantly..... hotels are out.

HOW MUCH would I love this?! A houseboat in Amsterdam, how beautiful. I actually started to casually look at these thinking they would TOTALLY beyond consideration.

Amazingly, you can find them for rent at the same price as a hotel room, from about £85 upwards. Now, the upwards can spiral towards hundreds per night....and even the least expensive is too expensive for our longer stay.


But I would definitely consider one of these if I had friends or family coming over to visit. You can book a hotel anywhere in the world, but a house boat really is something unique and special to the canals of Europe and I think a few days in one of these would be a lovely experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment